Q&AWhat is happening to Windows 7?
- On January 14, 2020 Microsoft will stop providing free security updates and support for Windows 7 Professional and Enterprise (primarly laptops & desktops). If absolutely needed, Microsoft has added extended Windows 7 support for a fee that increases each year for the next 3 years.
- In October 2020, Microsoft will stop providing free security updates and support for Windows 7 Embedded Standard (primarily kiosks). They will also offer extended support for a fee over the next 3 years.
- While we do not recommend this option, you can choose to pay the fee for extended support through Microsoft or your Managed IT Service Provider; however, software and hardware may not be backwards compatible with this older operating system, which can cause usability issues.
- Under no circumstances should you stay with Windows 7 and not pay for the additional support. Your system will be unsupported, making your organization and its data vulnerable to security threats. This is both a cybersecurity and compliance risk.*
- While not recommended, you can choose to remain on Windows 7, however Microsoft will charge you a fee for ongoing support and security updates.
- In some cases you can – however there are minimum requirements to run Windows 10 that older machines may not meet.